On behalf of Saitama JALT, we would like to wish you a Happy New Year. For this month, we have a wonderful presenter in Mr. Dave Gann, an English professor from the Tokyo University of Science.
The presenter will discuss and show a course design for aiding students in the development of critical thinking competence and dialogic discourse. These steps include:
(1) Intake of explicit instruction in both argument analysis and the expression of critical dispositions delivered via the presenter’s own Critically Minded Podcast Network.
(2) Completion of two types of online text reconstruction exercises designed to facilitate noticing of (a) salient textual features associated with various premise-conclusion constructions and structures common to conditional statements and hypothetical premises; and (b) discourse markers associated with critical dispositions used in professional, academic and civil discourse.
(3) Online forum threads concerning either (a) issues raised in the textbook; or (b) problem-solving, hypothesis-testing and data interpretation; and collaborative writing via online documents
(4) Text-chat speaking tests, during which students draw upon their recent forum thread communications
(5) Assessment based on the use of the aforementioned language items, followed by meaningful feedback
(6) How a technological solution helped the course design reach sustainability. The presenter will explain the rationale behind the various steps; pedagogical considerations that informed various technological aspects of production and delivery; how the podcast material was connected to in-class activity; and how well the course design was received by our students.
This event should be an exciting one, so we look forward to seeing you!